The 2017-18 academic school year has already been a stand out for STEM School Highlands Ranch. In addition to being named a World-Leading Leader in Education
and recognized for our Career Discovery Program
, our students have also been featured on Fox31 Denver
and MHI Solutions
industry trade publication. Our students, teachers, and staff continue to set the bar for our fearless educational model that never stops innovating. In addition, our athletic program and Enrichment offerings continue to grow, providing new and exciting opportunities for students.
Stories in the Media about STEM and other Awards
We will continue to update this section that includes up-to-the-minute exciting news about STEM School Highlands Ranch.
Each year the STEM School Highlands Ranch students, at all grade levels, participate in a number of local, regional and national academic competitions. Following are some top highlights:
- John Irwin Schools of Excellence Awards
- CyberPatriots Competition: Middle School students take 1st and 2nd in State.
- STEM High School takes first place in ACT scores among Douglas County Schools
- Increased our rank on Colorado School Grades from 11th to 9th out of 345 in Colorado high schools.
- National History Day: STEM students place 6th in the entire nation in the Senior Division.
- Future Business Leaders of America: School receives Chapter of the Year award.
- Students featured on front page of Denver Post for their collaborative synchronous learning.
- Technology Students Association: Our TSA teams placed first in 23 categories at the State competition.
- Theater: STEM's creative theater department brings the first-ever high school immersion theater presentation to Colorado. Denver Post article about the play "Hotel Ten."
- Career Discovery: Nearly 40 students at school employed in professional work environments for credit and real-world life experience.
- America's Top Young Scientist: STEM 7th grader receives national award as "America's top young scientist" for inventing a quick, low-cost test to detect lead-contaminated water. Gitanjali Rao was selected from 10 finalists who had spent three months collaborating with scientists to develop their ideas.
- Century Link Technology Grant: First grade teacher, Mrs. Jimenez, was awarded the Teachers and Technology Grant from CenturyLink. This grant will be used for technology in our Elementary classrooms.
- Highlands Ranch Community Foundation: STEM senior receives Highlands Ranch Community Foundation scholarship for her community service work at school and in the community,
- Desmos Math: STEM Algebra II students work featured on national math website.
- National Center for Atmospheric Research: STEM 5th grader wins top prize on the Wind Design Challenge for the National Center for Atmospheric Research,
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics: Two seventh grade students in won an essay contest from the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).
- Destination Imagination: STEM's Team "Hababulky" placed 1st for Elementary "Maze Craze" and received the prestigious Renaissance Award for exceptional skills in the areas of engineering, design or performance. Participated in Global Finals in Tennessee.
- Students shine at Math Competitions throughout the state with top winners at Math Counts, Math League and AMC Math Test.
- ECyberMission Competition: STEM students take first place.
- Colorado Succeeds features STEM with special feature story. Story link here.